Shanghai is the Biggest Port in the World And Its Interesting Facts
Shanghai is home to the largest and busiest port in the world, the Port of Shanghai. It is located in the estuary of the Yangtze River and serves as a major gateway for international trade in China. The port has a long history dating back to the 7th century, and today it handles a significant portion of the world’s shipping traffic. The Port of Shanghai has a total of 29 container terminals, which can handle over 40 million TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent units) annually. In 2020, the port handled a total of 43.5 million TEUs, which was an increase of 3.5% compared to the previous year. It also handled over 3.7 billion metric tons of cargo, making it one of the busiest ports in the world.
The port is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities, including automated container handling systems and advanced logistics technologies. It is strategically located close to major industrial and manufacturing hubs in China, and it provides direct access to major global markets. The port also has excellent road, rail, and air transportation connections, making it a critical hub for international trade and commerce. In addition to its commercial importance, the Port of Shanghai has also played a significant role in the development of the Chinese economy. It has helped to create jobs and stimulate economic growth in the region, and it has contributed to China’s rise as a major economic power in the world.
There are some interesting facts about the Port of Shanghai that are worth mentioning:
- The Port of Shanghai was established in 1842 after the signing of the Treaty of Nanking, which ended the First Opium War between China and Great Britain.
- The port covers an area of over 3,900 square kilometers and includes a network of waterways, rivers, and canals.
- The port is divided into three main areas: the Yangshan Deepwater Port, the Huangpu River Port, and the Chongming Island Port.
- The Yangshan Deepwater Port, which opened in 2005, is one of the largest deep-water ports in the world and can handle the largest container ships.
- The Port of Shanghai is connected to over 600 ports in more than 200 countries and regions around the world.
- In addition to container shipping, the port also handles a range of other cargo, including bulk cargo, liquid bulk cargo, and roll-on/roll-off cargo.
- The port is operated by the Shanghai International Port Group, a state-owned enterprise that is responsible for the management and development of the port.
- The Port of Shanghai has been recognized as the world’s busiest port since 2010, surpassing the ports of Singapore and Hong Kong.
Overall, the Port of Shanghai is a vital link in the global supply chain and an essential component of the world economy. Its continued growth and development are likely to have far-reaching implications for international trade and commerce in the years to come.
Need Infomations About Indonesian Ports ? Contact Us Now!
PT. BALANCIA SHIPPING AGENSI
HQ Address : Komplex Ruko Golden City Block C No.3A, Batam City, Indonesia 29432
Mobile Ph. : +628112627711
Office Ph. : +627784883769